Saturday 9 June 2012

Light caraway rye bread - Mellow Bakers Challenge

Mellow Bakers challenge - Light caraway rye bread - Dan Lepard's recipe.
My decision to start the June challenge with this loaf was based on "eeny meeny miny mo" .... not really!! I had all the ingredients at hand.
I can't bake the Alsace loaf yet,  I ordered rye grain over a week ago and still haven't heard that my order is available.
I also can't bake the Raisin and Cinnamon loaf yet ... who knew that I don't keep raisins in the house.
Enough of the nonsense :-)
I mixed together the ingredients for the 'cow pat'... oops I mean the ferment at about 9 am this morning and as it is a bit on the cold side in my part of the world at the moment, the ferment was placed on a towel on top of the electric heater. It took a bit over the recommended 2 hrs for it to be fully fermented as described. It was really bubbly inside and resembled a chocolate aero.

The final dough consistency was wet but certainly not too wet to handle with Dan's instructions to use a lightly oiled bench. I pressed it into shape and then rolled it without any difficulty. I then left it to to rise for a bit over the suggested hour. It certainly increased in size but to say 'rise' is a bit of an overstatement. There was certainly no oven spring and the loaf coming out of the oven was still quite small.


The good news is that by 3.30 pm, what we achieved is indeed a "light caraway rye bread".
It is not a brick!, has good texture, good crumb, good crust!!
Will certainly it bake again.

Thanks for your recipe Dan.

1 comment:

  1. That looks good - I am doing the raisin and cinnamon loaf this week, it is proving as I write, but I think I'll give this one a go next. I like rye breads.

    ReplyDelete